Due to the sudden inspiration that overtook me in Chapter 8, I am taking a short time to rework the outline for the remaining chapters. I like this new direction and want to make it work. Based on it, I wrote the final chapter today (Chapter 12), albeit in very short, condensed form. I'll reflect on it, and may well keep the gist of it. It's a good ending, I think, after having considered several others over time. I have also made a preliminary list of scenes for the intervening chapters (how to bridge between Chapter 8 and Chapter 12), basically following the same idea I had before for Act III (Ch. 10, 11, 12) but with some significant new twists. The major question is whether I need to redistribute some of the action in Chapter 8, reworking Act II B (Ch. 7, 8, 9) so that the action flows better through those three chapters.
I hope to finish this work this evening, and also get back into the writing tonight as well. But, before I return to writing, I have make sure I know what it is I'm trying to write, and this has changed somewhat due to the new developments in Chapter 8.
Yesterday I worked on an outline for another novel that I've worked on for some years, a story that is near and dear to my heart. I had previously written and polished about 30,000 words of it, but have never managed to finish it, partly because of plotting issues I have (and which I've been overcoming as I work on my current novel). I managed to use my new table to work out goals / complications / resolutions for 36 chapters, an expanded version of my current way of outlining three acts distributed over 12 chapters. It worked well. I like what I can do now with plotting and will apply what I've been practicing as I continue reworking my current outline this evening. I'm thinking of setting up a web site for FTP downloads to share my tables with anyone who might care to use them. They're sure helping me.